“I was recently in a store where I saw a beautiful print of a teaching from Ben Zoma, one of the sages of the Mishnah. It read, “Who is a rich man? He who is satisfied with his lot.” So begins Brent Chaim Spoder’s article ‘Who Is Rich,’ using Ben Zoma’s adage concerning livelihood as the jump-off. The same line happens to be the first tweet the Bible Raps account favorited back in October 27, 2010 (from “Jewish Tweets”).
Over the next 11 days I’ll be tweeting the following 11 lines from Bible Raps Twitter account about Consumerism and maybe, just maybe, one will be ‘favorited.’ A Rebbe in the digital age must have metrics!
1. We all want world peace”
but we all wanna feast….
so get real with the beast..
be it wolf or a sheep.
2. One buck two buck shots at the dollar
face on those bills kept some men in a collar
3. To be honest I promise I do it for the pro -fi/phe-ts
Ph or F, yes, either one I’ve lost it.
4. The patch on my pants for the lack of the cabbage is a problem/ I’m working on solvin’, we all in.
5. Get mad rich and take it back from the savages.
6. Sabbathes pass, but it’s not ‘ash to ash’
no it’s ‘what?’ to ‘what?’ And its ‘task’ to ‘task.’
7. Life is to act with more secrets than Akiva knew
It doesn’t matter what you think it only matters what you do.
8. Tower of Babel verse 1:
Sector A is great and sector B is looking looking lovely
and Kate can’t wait to contemplate what a falcon and a dove see
Fat Frank anticipates the taste of the clouds that are so fluffy
and who is chasing whom the sun or moon well now we shall see
our fate we’ll change when we rearrange our name in astrology
bring your bow and arrow we’ll surely go angel hunting
we’d rather slip then tip a brick “the tower is so lovely”
we’ll look down at gd’s crown resound “there is no one above me!”
9. ‘I know I look good, I know I’m mad fly
I keep my clients coming you don’t need to ask why…’
11. I mean just because I’m young, it doesn’t mean i’m dumb
i peep that silver and gold i’m figurin ways to get it done
see a part of me listens when they whisper ‘come and join us
schemin’ a lick, plottin a rip, pickin a couple of coins up.’
While i’m doing all this creepin’ I’m havin some trouble sleepin’
sippin on violence eatin wickedness til i’m sick i’m way to deep in
I needed to heed my father’s teaching obey my mother’s word
my ignorance set a trap for me i need to be that bird…’
- Billy Briscoe, “Poppin’ Proverbs.”email print